Filed under Feature

Spirit day moved to Wednesdays

Sierra Nevada College officials hope to change how Spirit Day is celebrated on campus by switching it from Friday to Wednesday this spring semester. Many students didn’t know it existed and made constructive suggestions that supported the change.

“I want there to be a giant eagle mascot dancing outside the buildings, inspiring everyone to dance,” proposes Senior Jeff Reifers.

Another student, Junior Kumara Kelley says, “It should be a hawaiian shirt Spirit Day.”

Director of Community Engagement and Special Events, Kim Anastassatos, created Spirit Day to encourage students to wear any SNC logo apparel, their club t-shirts, ski wear or to decorate their dorms.

Senior Brett Varga showed enthusiasm in suggesting, “It should be a, bring your lunch to field day, including: sack races, tug-o-war and other hokey activities.”

Anastassatos came to SNC from UNR in spring of 2012. She was drawn to the college by it’s passion and momentum. When given the opportunity to become a faculty member, she didn’t think twice about saying yes.

“It’s important to take pride in your school,” said Anastassots. “As the school grows and is branded in the world as a unique, private liberal arts college, the more recognition it will get.”

Spirit Day started in fall of 2012. After noticing there wasn’t as many students on campus on Friday, SGA recommended moving it to Wednesdays.

Spirit Day stimulates students to support the school so it can receive more exposure around the community.

“It’s a day for people to celebrate spirit”, Anastassatos said.

Anastassatos is always open to suggestions on how to make Spirit Day more enjoyable.