From the streets to the park: SNC competitive snowboarder Marco Gooding tells of success

Living his life exactly how he snowboards, the word “try” doesn’t exist in Sierra Nevada College competitive snowboarder, Freshmen Marco Gooding’s impressively large vocabulary, there is only do.

Gooding, a native to the area, has proven that Lake Tahoe is full of hypertoxic chemicals that accentuate on-hill abilities, as he reigns supreme on terrains of all types.

One wouldn’t think Gooding began snowboarding only a short five years ago.

In 2009, he began competing with the Heavenly Foundation Snowboard Team at Heavenly Ski Resort in South Lake Tahoe, Calif.

While on the team, Gooding competed in several USASA events, both regionally and nationally. Some of the events included Nike Chosen and the Stateline Showdown at Heavenly Ski Resort, the Gatorade Free Flow tour hosted by Windells of Mt. Hood, Oregon and the Mt. High competition in Big Bear California, to name a few.

After competing with the Heavenly Foundation Snowboard Team throughout his high school years, Gooding was accepted to Sierra Nevada College in the spring of 2012 to compete with the snowboard team.

“I first heard about SNC through my snowboard coach, Jt Chevallier, who went to the school at the time. I took his advice and applied, sent my snowboard resume along with some snowboard videos, got accepted with a snowboard scholarship as well as a presidential scholarship for my academics,” said Gooding.

Gooding shreds hard for the team, but he also manages to maintain a 3.67 grade point average while doing so.

Gooding competes in all snowboard events for the school including slopestyle, boarder cross and giant slalom.

“Slopes my favorite I’d have to say, but I’m pretty competitive in all three,” stated Gooding.

Gooding’s love for snowboarding shines through whether he’s throwing double corks in the park or lapping all mountain terrain on pow day.

Gooding takes full advantage of local resorts gargantuan jumps for dialing in his latest and greatest tricks. You can usually find him training at Heavenly Ski Resort and Northstar California Resort, just minutes away from campus.

“The frontside 1080 melon is my favorite trick so far,” stated Gooding, “I stomp so hard it hurts my ankles.”

Freshman Ian Wieczorek, and Sophmore Cory Johnson are both members of the snowboard team and train with Gooding on a weekly basis.

“The stuff we do is usually goofy, we just fool around and tell jokes. Marco’s an okay rider,” Wieczorek laughed.

“The dude just kills it,” Johnson chuckled.

SNC’s most recent USCSA event was held on Feb. 2-3, at Mammoth Mountain Ski Resort, where Gooding competed in
boarder cross and halfpipe.

“Results aren’t out yet for my individual performance, but SNC ranked first in both boarder cross and halfpipe,” stated Gooding, “this last USCSA event was probably one of my favorites because we were all on our game.”

Being such a well-rounded rider with a natural habit for going huge, Gooding has been claimed by several prominent sponsors including Academy Snowboard Company, Vans, Smith Optics, We Are California Grown and Plus Red Elixir energy drinks.