The artist behind 2,000 pounds of clay

Bachelor of Fine Art majors spend at least 20 hours a week working on their final show.

“The BFA process is a pretty intense process, it takes a lot of work. It’s a huge time commitment,” said Assistant Professor of Fine Arts Rick Parsons.

Senior Bianca Del Cioppo’s show, “A Vacant Chair,” will be available for viewing at 5 p.m. Feb. 21 in the Tahoe Gallery on the third floor of Prim Library at Sierra Nevada College.

She has been practicing art since she was old enough to stand at her toddle easel and finger paint. For her upcoming show she has chosen clay as her medium.

“It’s a very physical thing for me, I am connecting to my clay figures in a way that I don’t think I could in any other medium,” said Del Cioppo. “My show is all about trying to capture the un-capturable, it is allowing me to go through and come to terms with loss in my own life.”

According to Parsons capturing the emotions in clay is a difficult task because it is an inert material.

“Bianca (Del Cioppo) has a special gift of being able to manipulate clay that way and is also a pretty good drawer to help her in this process,” said Parsons.

A Vacant Chair is going to present six different life-size or larger figures.

“It is about capturing moments of coping with a difficult loss in your life,” said Del Cioppo describing the show. “Dealing with the difference between the memory of something and the actual thing itself; how to know when to let it become a memory for you.”

Del Cioppo has been working with a fellow artist to prepare for the big night.

“It’s definitely going to be something you remember for quiet a while,” said Junior Stephanie Campbell. “And it’s going to be very emotional, something everyone can relate to.”

None of the ceramic pieces will be fired and will be deconstructed after the show.

“I want these pieces to be temporary, like a memory, something that doesn’t stay with you forever,” said Del Cioppo.

For Del Cioppo her artwork has been a way to heal and express herself through 2,000 pounds of clay that she made from scratch.

“It’s about the experience not the finished work. It’s about my process in creating that I want to show, not a finished piece of ‘ceramic’ art for a gallery,” said Del Cioppo.