Filed under Feature

SnowGlobe celebration for New Years Eve

Freezing temperatures and winter weather didn’t hurt ticket sales at SnowGlobe Music Festival Dec. 29-31 in South Lake Tahoe. Artists played to sold out crowds two of three nights and local businesses reported that sales were high over the New Years Eve weekend.

“Overall the town was packed, stores were selling gloves, hats and coats quicker than they could stock them. Most businesses and hotel properties were reporting higher sales and bookings than they’ve seen in years,” said Tracy Franklin, Public Information Officer for the city of South Lake Tahoe.

Despite the large number of people at the festival Franklin reports there were significantly fewer complaints and arrests compared to last year’s event.

“The community has been supportive of the event and we have received several ‘thank yous’ for the changes implemented into SnowGlobe 2012,” said Franklin.

This year the city required the stage to be repositioned to face away from surrounding neighborhoods and required SnowGlobe organizers to pay a $50,000 deposit to ensure they did not exceed decibel limits or play music outside of the agreed time frame. Additionally a hotline was set up for residents and festival attendees to ask questions or voice complaints. Over the weekend nine noise complaints were received compared to hundreds of complaints following last year’s festival. Most of the calls received on the hotline were general inquiries regarding the festival. Additionally community members commented that festival attendees were diligent about following the events “Leave No Trace” principles.

Transportation was an issue at the festival as parking in surrounding neighborhoods was allowed by permit only. A shuttle system was set up by event organizers to provide transportation to and from the festival but many complained about waiting in long lines for a ride.

Once people were inside the event, decibel limits and curfews had little impact on the overall festival experience. Fans were treated to three days of dubstep, house, indie pop, hip hop and electrofunk from artists such as Wiz Khalifa, Madeon, Ana Sia, Grammatik and Policia. Between sets were performances by Tahoe Fire Dancers and a big air exhibition with some of Tahoe’s best local skiers and riders.

“Rob Gustiana organized it. He contacted me and said ‘We’re doing big air instead of rail jam would you like to do it and do you know anyone else who’d be interested?’” said Kyle Smaine, local skier in his junior year at Sierra Nevada College. “It’s cool to be able to introduce skiing and snowboarding and show off the local talent to a crowd who normally wouldn’t see it.”

Food and beverages were sold throughout the weekend from local businesses and vendors from across the country were selling clothing, jewelry and other festival souvenirs on site.

“As for my favorite acts, I’d have to say it was a tie between Mimosa and the local artist Ana Sia. They had the most bizarre and crazy sound that is indescribable by words. I can’t wait to experience it next year,” said SNC Senior Ty Dayberry after SnowGlobe 2012.

The bright colors and varied textures of fabrics used to create clothing that was as much art as apparel jumped out from the Luna Lobo Creations booth nestled between vendors at SnowGlobe Music Festival Dec. 29-31 in South Lake Tahoe. Luna Lobo Creations is a handmade clothing company based in South Lake Tahoe started by Melanie Ramirez and Tommy Wolff.

“We started less than a year ago with a cheap sewing machine and a few good ideas. When we started we never thought it would get this much support from family and friends,” said Wolff.

Fueled by positive feedback Ramirez and Wolff let their creativity flow; sourcing fabrics from all over the world the two entrepreneurs create one of a kind hoodies, vests, shirts and accessories featuring any combination of wild colors and patterns, landscapes and world culture. The team never starts a project with a plan, rather they let the creation unfold throughout the process, allowing whatever inspires them to flow into the piece.

SnowGlobe was Ramirez and Wolff’s first experience at a big event and business was good according to the team. Luna Lobo clothing seemed to be a popular choice among those seeking style and warmth in temperatures hovering in the single digits.

“It pushed us into the right direction and inspired us to vend at as many festivals as possible. Not only is it fun but a great opportunity to meet tons of awesome people from all over the country,” said Wolff.

In addition to vending at more festivals in the future, the team plans to open an online store at In the meantime they can be reached via Facebook at

Heavy snow fell as crews worked to arrange the main stage for the next set. A central DJ stand was removed to make way for a drum kit, a violin, a mandolin and a smaller set up for the next DJ. The stage transformed from its modern technology driven appearance to something invoking feelings of an ancient past, and then the band takes stage.

Beats Antique is a unique mix of electronic music, live percussion, stringed instruments and sultry dancing influenced by sounds from around the globe. The trio David Satori, Zoe Jakes and Sidecar Tommy came together after Jakes was approached by Miles Copeland while touring with a dance company under his direction. Copeland was looking for a new sound to add to his world music label. Having worked with Satori and Sidecar Tommy separately on previous projects Jakes took the opportunity to produce an album together.

The music of Beats Antique is heavily shaped by their travels across the globe. Inspired by sounds derived from destinations across the US and as far as Bali, Indonesia and West Africa each song becomes an experiment in something new said Satori.

“I think for me personally it’s an overall thing whenever I travel I look for music whether it’s in the states or abroad so I’m always looking for something new,” said Sidecar Tommy. With three people bringing ideas to the table there is always three views to choose from.

The weather at SnowGlobe 2012 presented a new experience for all artists as each had to deal with playing in freezing temperatures on a stage covered in ice and snow, but each rose to the occasion in their own way.

“It was kind of a truncated show because of weather. It was really hard to play but overwhelmingly fun.  Just the name of the festival itself resonated with me.  The lights reflecting off the snow made it feel like we were in a snow globe and everyone was watching,” said Sidecar Tommy.

The group plans to spend the beginning of 2013 in the studio. After spending much of the last year touring they’re looking forward to making some new music. Currently they are conceptualizing a follow up album to their 2009 release Contraption Vol. 1. A sneak peek at their newest track is available online at

With temperatures dipping well below freezing and a fresh blanket of snow falling from the sky, warm, stylish and affordable winter clothing was a hot commodity at SnowGlobe 2012 and Unkooth Youth provided. Founded by brothers Zac and George Warren from South Lake Tahoe Unkooth Youth provides handmade sweatshirts with snowboard culture in mind. It started when George designed a tall sweatshirt for himself.

“I made him make me one,” said Zac. “More people wanted them so we started selling them off racks in the parking lot and it progressed from there.”

Today the brothers sell their sweatshirts in their family owned smoke shop, The Spot located in South Lake Tahoe. The Unkooth Youth line has grown to include t-shirts, bandanas, sunglasses and beanies with snowboarding as the main inspiration. In addition to Unkooth Youth clothing The Spot also carries hats, shirts and accessories from a number of other companies as well as locally blown glass smoking pieces

This is the second year the brothers have taken Unkooth Youth to SnowGlobe. The booth seemed consistently busy with friends and locals stopping in to say hello as well as unprepared festival goers seeking affordable hats, gloves, socks and custom sweatshirts to protect themselves against winter weather.

“It’s always a fun time, lots of people and good music I guess.  We’ll probably be there again next year if it happens. It’s kind of an excuse to do something else,” said Zac.

To check out Unkooth Youth stop by The Spot at 2318 Lake Tahoe Blvd. in South Lake Tahoe.

Photos by Jake Pollock