Filed under Feature

New faces with Sierra Nevada College’s new semester

It’s that time of the year again; new faces on campus mean new roommates, new friends, lots of learning and above all, endless exploring to be had.

Fresh individuals from all around the world have landed on campus, each with their own educational goals, but all with one thing in common- a love for Lake Tahoe.

Sierra Nevada College has enrolled between 40 and 45 new students, including transfers and true freshmen, according to Director of Student Affairs and Housing Lizzie Hernandez.

New students now living on campus all shared a common fear upon moving to SNC, dorm life. Will my roommate be a hippie? How’s the food? What is there to do?

Junior roommates Anna Evans and Kelly Benson, both transfer students, however, didn’t have these problems.

“I love my roommate! We both clicked right away,” giggled Evans and Benson as they reached out to hug one another outside of their shared dorm room.

“The library has been our main hang out place,” claimed Junior Sierra Wohle, a University of Nevada at Reno transfer, who is friends and floor mates with Evans and Benson. “It’s like being in a giant ski lodge!”

Freshman Tyler Stoehr moved clear across the country from Blueknob, Pa., and didn’t seem to have trouble adjusting either. The only thing different, she states, was the change of hospitality.

“I’m not used to everyone saying hello here, the East Coast is so different in that way. I think I’ve met more people here in a week than I’ve meet in my entire life,” said Stoehr.

New students also had commentary on the cafeteria food.

“The French toast sticks are bomb, so are the pancakes,” stated Benson. “Stay away from the oatmeal and head toward the grill, breakfast sandwiches are where it’s at.”

Junior Carl Wernhoff had one major request.

“Being from Sweden, we like our coffee black. Not brown, not watered down, just black! Believe me, we like our coffee.”

During orientation week, Jan. 14-18, SNC offered many student activities on and off campus for new and returning students to meet and mingle. Activities included a snowman building competition on the Patterson lawn, a full ski day at Alpine Meadows, and ice-skating at Northstar California Resort.

“I went to pretty much all of the activities during orientation week, I met a ton of people so that was pretty cool,” stated Senior Ruy Bautista, a new transfer living on the third floor of Prim- Schultz Hall. “Overall impression so far, I’d have to say a lot of tie dye and a lot of snow, coming here from Arizona, but I’m loving it. ”

New faces Sierra Nevada College

A snowman building competition was part of the many activities offered during orientation week Jan 14-18.