Art department puts on annual Trashion Show

The top 3 designs stand with the winner in the middle. Pictured from left to right: Brittany Sainz (model for Katelyn Jensen), Heath Pearson and Annie Mac

The Fundamentals of Art and Design students put their acquired skills on display at the Trashion Show Thursday Nov. 8th on the 3rd floor of Prim Library.

The usual hall of executive offices and art displays was transformed into a makeshift fashion runway lined with students eager to watch their peers perform.

For the designers, the basis behind the whole process was to start by gathering inspiration from some sort of historical fashion costuming. Then they researched, came up with drawings, and had to start thinking about materials and what they were going to use.

“Once they figured that out they really started to see what their design was going to be,” said Professor of Arts Mary Kenny.

The variety of materials ranged from magazines to cardboard (being one of the most popular), to papers and plastic.

“One of the hardest parts about putting this all together was literally getting the tape to stick,” said Senior Annie Mac, one of the top three contestants. “Otherwise it kind of just came together.”

Mac made a dress out of Ikea couch wrapping and packaging, inspired by the Scandinavian designs of Vivian Westwoodas and Little Bow Peep.

“The hardest part was making sure that the vision you had in your head became what you made in the end,” said Mac.

The rough spots  were different for each designer.

“The biggest obstacle was fitting it to the person, because I made it in class not even thinking about the size,” said Sophomore Katelyn Jensen. “I tried it on a couple of people and luckily my model (Brittany Seinz) was tiny enough, so I found someone to fit in it,” she said.

Jensen made a spin off the dress Aubrey Hepburn wore in My fair Lady for which she was named in the top three.

“I am so excited after all my hard work,”  Jensen said. “I can’t believe it because all I used was duct tape and Raley’s bags,” she exclaimed.

Mentor Mary helped the students along the way through the obstacles they encountered.

“Sewing was the biggest obstacle that the students needed to be guided with,” said Kenny. “Some of them had never sewn before, so it was a matter of sitting down and showing them how to get thread through the needle and how a sewing machine works,” she said.

There were lots of quick fixes though with things like tape and staples, according to Kenny, so they figured it out.

“Once you don’t necessarily have those resources, you end up finding them in the studio,” she said.

For example, someone brought in a bag of old clothes, so they ended up using zippers and things, repurposing them.

For Senior Heath Pierson, the winner of $50 donated to the art department for 1stplace, the most fun was in the actual performance on the runway. His introduction said it all as he “charged the runway in his artillery resistant, jet ski jousting, wild corgi wrestling, armor suit.”

“Getting to dress up ridiculously and be ok with it was the best part,” he said.