Sustainability Center to help college pursue core themes

The recycling receptacles and eco-friendly designed buildings help Sierra Nevada College to promote its core theme of sustainability. These changes and modifications toward sustainability can be seen taking place all over campus, even in the library.

The library received a $40,000 grants last year from the Nevada State Library. With the funds the library was able to open the Sustainability Center for the fall semester, and purchase books and DVDs to fill it. The library’s electronic database was also expanded to promote sustainability studies, and can be accessed by anyone in the community

“We purchased material related to sustainability topics, so they could be used for class and personal use,” said Library Director Betts Markle.

The library promotes sustainability by having double-sided printers, recycling receptacles and online e-books. Markle said the library adheres to sustainability practices as indicated by the rest of the college.

“I think it’s necessary to help foster a culture of sustainability, and to have a multitude of resources for the students to use,” said Senior Jaynie Louise Mille.

Miller said she had five books checked out from the sustainability center for her senior project, and three additional books checked out for personal enjoyment.

“I’ve seen student’s hoard the sustainability books, or hide them in places around the library so no one else will take them,” said Senior Sonya Hernandez. ”Its hard for me to discourage that behavior when I see people enjoy the books so much.”

A sustainability film festival was created to promote and introduce the sustainability center to the public. Hernandez hosted the film festival from Nov. 2 – 3, showing the public sustainability videos from the center’s collection. Over 200 people attended the event over the two-day period. There will be a sustainability film festival next year, but a host has not yet been selected.