SnowGlobe fest returns to Tahoe

Get ready to bring in the New Year with three nights of cold air, hot bodies and loud beats. SnowGlobe Festival is returning Dec. 29-31 to South Lake Tahoe, Calif.

Following the success of last year’s event, organizers are working hard to make this year even more memorable by bringing together big name performers, local artists, a big air competition and a “Taste of Tahoe” selection of food vendors.

Deadmau5, Wiz Khalifa, Chromeo and Beats Antique head up the list of approximately 35 artists that will play over the course of the weekend. In addition to well known acts, SnowGlobe organizers hosted a talent contest in November seeking local artists to perform.

“We had awesome fan engagement with the contest. I think people will be pretty excited to see the artists on the big stage,” said Chad Donnelly, founder of SnowGlobe Music Festival and SnowBall Music Festival which takes place in Avon, Colo.

Using Facebook and Twitter, fans selected eight local artists: Well Groomed, boggan, Dreda Dre, Zeb Early Music, Arden Park Roots, Helena & the Bear, DJ IRIEYES and Sam F from the surrounding area who will each host a set during the festival.

“That’s something we’re so incredibly passionate about is including all things local. Whether it’s artists or food, we just try to do everything we can to incorporate the local community,” said Donnelly.

In response to community complaints following the event last year, organizers have worked with the City of South Lake Tahoe to minimize the impact on surrounding residences. The stage will be rotated to face away from the neighborhoods, speakers will be facing down toward the field and the decibel levels have been limited to help alleviate noise, according to the City of South Lake Tahoe website. Additionally, waste management will be controlled by volunteers in order to preserve the property, and recycling and Leave No Trace principles will be promoted throughout the event.  Organizers are also studying demographics and the economic impact of the event in preparation of future events.

New to the festival this year is the Silent Disco. Imagine a room full of people dancing to music delivered through wireless headphones.

“I’m super pumped about it. It’s super fun and weird, a totally different experience. I’ve done it a few times and I think it’s one of the coolest things about any festival,” said Donnelly.

In addition to music, local athletes will showcase their skills in a big air competition each night. The competition evolved from a rail jam last year and helps build the winter lifestyle theme.

Donnelly expects the festival to sell out, and predicts that approximately 40,000 people will attend over the course of three days.

“I wanted it to be more of an intimate festival. You don’t get lost, it’s easy to find your friends and you always have a good seat. I’m passionate about keeping it intimate. I want to make sure that doesn’t get lost,” said Donnelly.