KRS-ONE brings the Temple of Hip Hop to the North Shore

KRS-ONE brought his brand of the real hip-hop to the stage Nov. 10 at the Cal-Neva Resort leaving no question that the “Teacha” still has a few lessons up his sleeve. Blasting through a set that included classics from “Criminal Minded” up to the present and freestyle sessions paying homage to what he considered some of the most influential lines in hip-hop, KRS-ONE backed by DJ Mince of Truckee kept the crowd moving all night.

The headlining act was preceded by local hip-hop artists Logic One (South Lake Tahoe), Golden Gloves (Auburn, Calif.), Dirty Rhythm (Incline Village), Venomous Ink (Reno) and Deep City (South Lake Tahoe) all set to the beats of DJ Mince. The locals set a high-energy vibe for the evening with fast paced songs and lyrics that captured the essence of being an up-and-coming local hip hop artist, and left the crowd anxious and excited for the main show.

Local fans had the chance to showcase their break dancing skills when the “real beat boys and beat girls” were invited on stage. The emcees were not afraid to let anyone know that basic booty shakin’ did not make the cut.

The musicians were joined on stage by local live artist Hayden Lyle who created a full color sketch of DJ Primo through the show.

After the show the autographed piece was sold to one lucky fan.

KRS-ONE spoke of the recent election announcing that we were “in for another four years of bullshit,” he was not bashing on the Democratic or Republican party, rather relating that they are both part of the same system and the only way to create change was to seek knowledge over material possessions. We create our own slavery through the currency in our pockets. True wealth comes from living simple and effortlessly, he said.

After the show, a few fans could pay to attend the after party where a small crowd gathered to hear KRS-One discuss the entertainment industry, plans for the future, the preservation of hip hop culture and take the time to autograph some T-shirts.

Humbled and honored by the breed of fan coming from the mountains  braving the cold weather to see the show, KRS-One ended the night with one last sentiment.

“Tonight’s show is dedicated to all those who represent real hip hop. I know this is said often, but when it’s 14 degrees outside and the snow and the hail is coming down, and you have to make the decision to come outside, and pay money by the way, to see KRS-ONE. I want to thank you for even considering coming out. Hopefully we are building something here in Lake Tahoe.”