Filed under Sports

Ski and Snowboard team conquer preseason

Freshman Bekah Ashley boosts over a homemade rainbow tree bonk at the jib garden set up by students off Mt. Rose after the first snow of the season.

Although the weather doesn’t show it, we are nearing the time of year that defines competitive sports at Sierra Nevada College: winter in Tahoe.

Despite the recent record-breaking autumn highs interrupted only by a tease of a first snow, the Ski and Snowboard teams have been on their grind.

From getting a short taste of on-snow activities to mostly off-snow workouts, the teams are getting a head start on their seasons.

“We have been really focused on our dry-land preparation for this season, working on strength, balance and endurance,” said Cannon O’Brien, a freshman on the ski team.

“We have been working out 5 days a week and most days twice a day.”

O’Brien has high goals for himself for the upcoming season.

“I want to get my points into the 20’s in giant slalom and slalom,” he said. He also added that he is set on making the national team and finishing in the top three. All the hard work before the fact will not be in vain.

“The more prepared we can make ourselves in the gym the better we are going to be able to execute and perform on the slopes,” said O’Brien.

The snowboard team has also spent preseason doing dry-land training at the soccer fields and high altitude.

Bekah Ashley, a freshman on the snowboard team enjoyed the first snow up on Mt. Rose, hitting homemade jibs and getting back on her board with her friends.

“My goals are to film, compete, travel, and just have fun,” said Ashley.

Their first events will begin in January around the start of the spring semester. But until then, Ashley will be headed back east to her home town of Lake Placid, New York, getting some riding in over Cristmas break.

Freshman Marco Gooding is excited to start the season as a crucial member of the Snowboard Team.

While working out at the gym and running as much as possible, Gooding has also been setting his stakes high for his upcoming season.

Freshmen Bekah Ashley and Jessica Mary celebrate the first snowfall back in October on top of Mt. Rose after a tough stretch of dry-land training with the SNC Snowboard Team.

“My personal goals are to qualify for nationals, compete at all the Rev Tour events,  and just have fun snowboarding with my friends and teammates,” said Gooding.

He is looking forward to seeing how the upcoming winter plays out, and has a good feeling about the outome.

“I think our team is going to be very successful,” said Gooding. “We have a lot of talented riders on the team and I’m excited for everyone.”

The season is looking promising for the SNC Ski and Snowboard Teams. Now that their training is on lock, all they need is some winter.

“I feel a really good vibe from everyone on the team,” said O’Brien. “I predict that we will all push each other in a positive way and have a great time kicking some butt.”

Photos: Madison Johnson