Profile: Alex ‘Spicoli’ Daoussis

Profile: Alex ‘Spicoli’ DaoussisName: Alex ‘Spicoli’ Daoussis

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business

Hometown: Trabuco Canyon, Calif.

Nicknamed “Spicoli” after the carefree surfer character in the movie “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”, Alex Daoussis may look and sometimes act the part, but behind his fun-loving demeanor lies a sharp wit and creative mind.

Where are you from originally?

I was born in Laguna, Calif., and then I lived in Spokane, Wash. But then I moved back to Laguna for a couple months and ended up in Trabuco Canyon, Calif.

What brought you to Sierra Nevada College?

I moved to Tahoe in August 2011 right before my freshman year at SNC. Honestly, I was planning to not even go to college, but my parents weren’t too stoked on that. I decided to come up and check out the college for their sake. I ended up liking it and met some cool people. I sat in on one of Lynn Gillette’s classes and I really liked the way he taught.

What is it that you like about SNC?

I love the small school aspect. The professors are really personable. If you have a problem, you can go talk to them and they’ll sit down and help you figure out what you don’t understand, or answer any questions you have.

What was it like for you as a freshman?

When I first got here, I was really extraverted and I wanted to meet everyone. That definitely has helped me. By trying to meet everyone, it helped me to form decisions about whom I wanted to hang out with, what I wanted to do, and who I wanted to be.

How do you feel about your nickname, “Spicoli”?

In high school I was on the surf team, and they started calling me that. I wasn’t stoked about it, so when I got to Tahoe, I didn’t tell anyone. But then someone up here said, “Dude, you’re totally like Spicoli,” and I was bummed. But after a month or so it grew on me. Now everyone has chopped it down to Scoli, so it’s a spin-off of a spin-off, I guess.

What do you like to do on your spare time other than skating or snowboarding?

Freestyle rapping. I don’t take it seriously at all, but it is so fun. It’s awesome when something funny happens in the room and you make a quick rap about it and everyone chuckles.

By Sean Anderson

For the full story go to the Thursday, November 8, 2012 print edition.