Filed under News

Parking issues still at hand as snow falls

Parking issues continue as snow falls at SNC

The crowded line of cars along Country Club Drive will disappear the next time it snows as  Washoe County enforces a snow-day parking ban Nov. 1 – May 1. With the winter season approaching, the parking issues remain at Sierra Nevada College.

A total of 248 students purchased parking permits, while 213 staff members received theirs, said Chelsea Christoph, student assistant in the registrar’s office. Director of Facilities Thane Christenson said there are 311 parking spaces on campus.

Beginning fall semester, students discovered they would have to purchase parking permits to park on campus. Vehicles parked on campus without a permit or breaking parking regulations may be towed or ticketed.

President Lynn Gillette said the school had to address the shortage of parking spaces due to the growing student population. The Parking Task Committee decided on the parking permit system. Gillette said that most every college charges students and faculty for parking. The funds from the parking permits go to support ESI security staff on campus, who enforce the parking rules.

Gillette said a long-term plan for parking has not yet been determined, although the school has approval to build a parking garage at some point. The school is also considering a shuttle, which would run from campus to various locations around town.

To promote sustainability on campus, Dean of Students Will Hoida is introducing a different version of the Greener than the the Dean contest. He will use funds from the parking permits to purchase a box for snowboarders and skiers to ride on right outside Patterson Hall, which should arrive after Christmas break. Students can raise funds for the box by going to school in sustainable ways, such as biking or walking. If students travel sustainably on good weather days, they raise 5 cents toward the box. If students travel on bad weather days, they raise $2 toward the box.

“I think it’s a cool idea,” said Sophomore Emilie Lamoureux. “I won’t use it because it will ruin my skis, but I think the community will be happy to use it.”

On Oct. 30, a parking grievance committee heard eight complaints from two staff members and six students. Hoida leads the committee, along with Humanities Chair Dan O’ Bryan and Samantha Marquardt, student government Director of Public Relations. The committee meets 1 p.m., on the last Tuesday of every month in the Dean of Students office in Patterson Hall.