Filed under Feature

Career fair offers students jobs

As the winter months approach, Sierra Nevada College students are looking for jobs at the mountain resorts around the lake, where snow-related work isn’t the only employment offered at the career fair.

SNC’s Career Fair on Thursday, Oct. 25, hosted 22 different employers searching for potential employees. The career fair attracted over 100 students looking for jobs or internships
Henry Conover, director of Academic Support Services checked in employers and placed them at their assigned table.

Students were able to fill out applications at the career fair

Some SNC students were able to fill out job applications at the career fair.

Some of the businesses in attendance included Northstar California Resort, U.S. Forest Service, Chase International, American Red Cross, Tahoe Donner Resort, and SNC Graduate Programs.

KNPB, the local PBS station, was looking for students interested in one of their internships.

The resorts in attendance were looking to fill the up the spots still available. The jobs were entry level in several departments including ski and snowboard schools, lift operators and rental shop technicians.

Sophomore Carol Schwartz, with the help of Conover, had an interview set up with North Tahoe Arts prior to the event.

Schwartz was offered an internship with North Tahoe Arts, but hasn’t taken the offer yet. She kept her options open and walked around the fair, talking in-depth with several employers.

“I found the career fair to be extremely helpful and informative,” said Schwartz. “It was great to get a chance to speak with some employers from the area.”

Not all of the employers were conducting interviews during the event; however, a select few were prepared to interview and hire on the spot.

“You always want to look presentable in a professional setting such as the career fair or even if you’re just going into a business to submit an application,” said Schwartz, who was dressed in professional attire. “I feel the career fair is an excellent place to start searching. It gives you not only an idea of what is out there in terms of jobs now, but also what types of positions could be open in the future.”

Before the career fair, Conover had set up resume workshops and mock interviews to prepare students for the professional world and career fair.

Career fair gives students a chance to see job opportunities

Employers lure a job-hungry student to their table, advertising their career opportunities.

The success of student preparation was shown in the few students that were hired at the career fair and the 15 to 20 students still in the hiring process.