Art show with Nathan Lynch sparks laughter and interest

Nathan Lynch presented the art show “A Way of Fixing Everything,” on Nov. 1 at Sierra Nevada College. The exhibit, shown on the third floor of Prim Library, had many diverse pieces including a pile of yellow and green painted logs and a ladder that held a large grey inflatable bag to the roof.

For the eight years that George Bush was in office, Lynch would cut out his nose from each New York Times magazine.

Lynch is the chair of the Ceramics department at the California College of Arts in San Francisco. After a decade of friendship, Assistant Professor of Fine Arts Rick Parsons invited Lynch to show an exhibit at the school.

Lynch began his presentation by showing a picture of a truck parked in a desolate weedy field with a sign that stated, “potatoes”. The photo reminded him of where he grew up in Pasco, Wash., 20 miles from the local Hanford Nuclear Power Plant. According to his website, this environmental contradiction gave him a great sense of location and a deep appreciation for irony.

Showing slides of past work, he went over a project he did from 2001-2004, where he walked a two-foot pine wheel tied to a rope through streets and towns wearing an orange motorcycle helmet. Lynch said he has 70 motorcycle helmets and no motorcycle.

“I appreciated that he was a ceramic artist working outside of ceramics,” said Senior Anna Jarschke. “It is nice to see when artists use found objects and makes work that you are not expecting”.

Another project he showed was titled, “All the President’s Noses.” For every day during the eight years George Bush was in office, Lynch would cut his nose out of the New York Times magazine.

For the work in the gallery, Lynch said that it had an environmental theme. He spoke about how the paint on the logs represents his views on how people ascribe objects meaning. Lynch believes that ascribing words to an object doesn’t change the issue or meaning, it only changes what its called. He said his artwork also represents frustration and collapse on a personal and global scale.

Lynch said he enjoys writing stories that describe everything as they happened. Jarschke said it is refreshing to see an artist who uses writing as a way to think about his work. He said that writing is like making emotional lasagna, as every ingredient must melt together perfectly.

“I thought his style was very abstract, and his humor was hilarious,” said Senior Rich Cooch. “I liked how he got the crowd so involved with his comical style.”