Filed under Community, Sports

Ultimate Frisbee gains popularity

On a field that is usually inhabited by kids running after soccer balls, a different crowd now gathers on Thursday afternoons. Across from the Incline Village Recreation Center, about 20 members of the Sierra Nevada College Ultimate Frisbee Club meet for a pickup game to show off their disc skills and run the opposing players into the dirt.

The Ultimate Frisbee Club was formed this year by Freshman Austin Ford. Ford set out a sign-up sheet at the beginning of the semester and quickly had pages full of signatures from students seeking Frisbee action.

“Ultimate Frisbee is rad, and it’s a lot of fun. People should come out and play it,” said Jake Roy, a member of the club.

A striking feature about this new club is the passion that its members show at their weekly pickup matches.

“It’s Frisbee or die,” said Ian Wieczorek, the club’s treasurer. In each game, the players run and throw to the very reaches of their physical limits.

Still, when the game is over and one team emerges victorious, there are no hard feelings. High-fives and knuckle-bumps run rampant.

“I want to get to the point where we play and every player’s throw is right on the money,” said Ford, casually tossing a Frisbee around in front of Patterson Hall.

The club has its sights set higher than mere pickup games. “We want to enter some tournaments and play with people from different areas,” said Ford.

By Sage Sauerbrey