Filed under Community, News

Parents get acquainted with SNC at Parents’ Weekend

SOPHOMORE TAYLOR PUSC, SENIOR ARIELLE SHIPE AND JUNIOR JAKE DENNEY welcome SNC parents to campus for Parent’s Day on Oct. 13

Parents traveled from places as far as Alaska and Utah to attend Parents’ Weekend Oct. 13 at Sierra Nevada College. The event gave parents an opportunity to experience what their offspring do at SNC and to learn how the school teaches.

A complimentary breakfast buffet at 8 a.m. had parents filling half of the Patterson Dining Hall. Junior Jake Denney helped greet parents with a gift bag containing a map of the school, a copy of the Eagle’s Eye newspaper and tips and suggestions of what parents could do for the weekend.

The parents then headed over to the Tahoe Center for Environmental Sciences (TCES) building to hear from students and faculty about the four-year liberal arts college. When Parent Relations Coordinator Erika Gillette asked the crowd if this was their first time at a parent’s weekend, eight responded. Erika assured them that they would leave the next day amazed with SNC.

“We are a caring, close-knit community,” said Executive Vice President and Provost Shannon Beets. “[We want] to make sure students learn, and to support them with anything they want to do.”

President Lynn Gillette told the teachers in the room to stand up. Pointing, he assured the crowd that they are all committed to helping students.

“We care and push the students.  If they fail, we pick up the pieces and then let them try it again,” said Gillette.

Parents had the opportunity to ask students Rebecca Lincoln, Sabrina Belleci, Sonya Hernandez, Marcus Plyhr and Anza Jarschke about their experiences at SNC.

A parent asked the students why people drop out from SNC. Hernandez replied that she had a friend who felt school in general wasn’t right for her at the time, so she left and now leads white water rafting trips all over the world.

After the student comments, parents had the chance to take a 45-minute mini class with a professor. Humanities Chair Dan O’ Bryan said that he believed the mini sessions went very well, in terms of amusement and the questions parents asked.       O’ Bryan taught a condensed version of his Senior Ethics class.

Caren Rasmussen from Henderson, Nev., came to visit her daughter Christy, and said with a smile that she thinks this is a great school. Christy said she is glad her mom supports her and her educational adventures.

George Gowen, from Truckee, Calif., father of Junior Bailey Gowen said,  “I believe the ideas and approach that [SNC] is taking works well in a small setting.”

He said he went to a large college in Illinois, and what you get from a graduate school environment is what SNC offers.