Monday Night Madness at Incline Bowl

Weston Park, Contributor

Monday nights are usually meant for prepping for the work days ahead and going to sleep at a reasonable hour. Well, usually. On Monday nights in Incline Village, look no farther than the local bowling alley and you’ll find SNC students and community members getting their party on.

“Monday night bowling is a fun way to relax and have some fun before the busy week that’s to come,” student Kevin Brod said.

Since SNC’s campus is walking distance from Bowl Incline, it’s fitting that the bowling alley offers a “college night” discount every Monday. Prices for beer, games, and shoe rentals drop to $2.50 each, creating a catalyst for good, loud, old-fashioned fun.

The bowling alley is still open to the public on the first night of the work week, but the place is mostly populated by SNC students. Bowl Incline loves the Monday night business even though sometimes things get a little crazy.

“Sometimes it looks, feels, and smells like a zoo in here even though it’s just a Monday night,” said Incline Bowl cashier Claire White.

Bowling may not be the most action-packed sport, but old-school vibes and funky music combine for one heck of a night. For Monday night regulars, the tradition is simple: You start at your place, have a few beers and maybe play some games with your buds. Then around 9:30 when most people are getting ready to call it a night, you start your trek over to the bowling alley.

“There are different routes to take, but cutting through the local Rec Center parking lot and taking Incline Way is the easiest and simplest way to get there,” Brod says. “It drops you off right in front of the bowling alley.”

Showing up late is the fashionable choice. Around 10:30 or 11 p.m. is when the volume and chatter begins to peak. Students fill the lobby, bar and pool room area to socialize and get their party on.

“Monday night is fun because you don’t necessarily have to bowl. You can play pool, sit at the bar and watch a game, or just socialize,” student Joey Crobbs said.

The bar is the favorite hangout of students who want to keep an eye on the Warriors basketball games. The pool room is populated with a mix of beginner players and jaded pool sharks split up between six tournament-sized billiard tables. Since it’s hard to know who is who, it’s best to avoid making bets on any games.

For those who do bowl, the action is fast-paced. Each of 16 lanes is filled with friends competing to see who can get the least amount of gutter balls while trying not to spill their beer in between turns. With music bumping and people nearly shouting to be heard, the only way to have a serious conversation with a peer is to speak directly into each other’s ears.

Bowl Incline is open daily from 11 a.m. to 12 midnight. Tuesday through Sunday, rates are $5.25 per game per person plus $4 shoe rental, but on Monday nights from 6 p.m. to midnight, games, shoe rentals, and domestic draft beers are only $2.50 each.