Entrepreneurs Assembly

A gathering for like-minded independent business people

Çiera Serrano Lavigne, Reporter

The Entrepreneurs Assembly, a not-for-profit organization of businesspeople who mentor and support new and emerging entrepreneurs, held its monthly seminar in TCES on Wednesday, March 1. The event was led by Matt Westfield, founder of the Entrepreneurs Assembly program and a professor who teaches entrepreneurship at the University of Nevada, Reno. He founded the Entrepreneurs Assembly organization to create “a resource networking environment that everyone can contribute to and benefit from,” he said.

Westfield’s focus is to inspire entrepreneurs, helping them to see the potential in their businesses. He explained that each business needs to focus on the value of its company before the financial side of it. “Businesses need to prove that what they are building or creating is of value to the consumers’ eye,” he said.

Westfield started off the evening by going around the room and having participants introduce themselves and their business ideas. He reminded everyone of Jack Canfield’s inspiration quote: “Don’t worry about failures; worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.”

According to the organization’s website, entrepreneurs who participate in the Entrepreneurs Assembly mentorship program will move their business idea “through a disciplined process facilitated by mentors and peers. Each month there will be homework to be accomplished and reviewed.” Westfield believes that entrepreneurs who stick with the process will double their chances at success. “This assembly is the only organization that has the type of founder-to-founder mentoring that big companies now are missing. They help each other look for revenue in order to profit their growth,” he said.

Entrepreneurs Assembly events like the one held at SNC also take place at regular intervals at Lake Tahoe Community College in South Lake Tahoe, the University of Nevada in Reno, and the Adams Hub in Carson City. Karol Hines, executive director of the Entrepreneurs Assembly, said, “I have spent five years volunteering and supporting the development and growth of the entrepreneurial community in Northern Nevada. I love to be a part of the startup program of an entrepreneur’s startup.”

Entrepreneurs Assembly meetings are held at SNC on the first Wednesday of every month from 6 to 9 p.m. and are open to anyone with a business idea or an existing business that needs help.