‘The Dating Game’ asks the deeper questions

SNC students play to find Valentine’s Day love

Gabby Budick, Devin De Long and Kirsten Vickery were contestants in the
Valentine’s Day dating game

Gabby Budick, Devin De Long and Kirsten Vickery were contestants in the Valentine’s Day dating game

Morgan Meadows

Morgan Meadows

Morgan Meadows, Staff Reporter

In celebration of Valentine’s Day, SNC’s eligible singles participated in an SGA-sponsored event, “The Dating Game.” The rules of the game were simple: Answer questions coming from a potential date, and no peeking. Students were encouraged to grab an ice cream sundae and join in the fun in Patterson Dining Hall.

“Basically there are three bachelors or bachelorettes and one contestant. The contestant asks the questions, which are answered by each of the three, except their identity is hidden. At the end of each round they choose one of the bachelors or bachelorettes based upon their answers. The winners get a prize,” said Callie Grady, one of the RAs who ran the event.

The questions ranged from sweet to silly, to downright ridiculous. One contestant asked the bachelorettes what their favorite type of car was. Another asked what they are looking for in a boyfriend.

The answers were equally varied. Some answered seriously while others were just trying to be clever. The winners were given gift cards to be used on their dates. Prizes included a $10 gift card for IV Coffee or $20 cards for Sunshine Deli or Lupita’s.

“I knew I would win because of who I was going against,” said Porschia Kaiser, the first winner of the night.

She was chosen by freshman Koa Flagg, who in gentlemanly spirit opted to give his would-be-date the prize to use for herself.

Although the premise behind the game was to pair up eligible singles, it was not intended to be taken too seriously.

“Honestly, I just chose randomly,” Flagg said. “Oh, and it was what my heart told me.”

In the second round, Jacob Dubyak played bachelor, asking a series of more thoughtful questions. In the end his choice was contestant No. 2, Devin De Long.

“I chose her because she likes Chevy trucks,” Dubyak said. “She also said she wants a guy who is tall with blue eyes. I’m tall with blue eyes.”

In the third and final round, instead of asking the questions, the bachelors were the ones to answer. In a twist to the rules, there were four bachelors to choose from instead of only three.

The lucky lady doing the choosing was Tenzin Choedon, who joked that she chose “none” of the four options she was presented with. In the end, however, she selected Ty Casey as her date. They took the final prize of $20 to Lupita’s Mexican Restaurant.